1105 East Jackson Boulevard, Suite 3
Jonesborough, TN 37659

(423)-753-4441 ext. 3


  • Use Media Manager to upload photos into the photos/masthead folder.
  • Up to 20 images can be uploaded.
  • Captions for these images can be changed in the Simple Spotlight Module
Previous Next


Office Manager Job Announcement

Washington County Soil Conservation District

Office Manager Job Announcement

The Washington County Soil Conservation District is seeking qualified applicants for a full-time position for a District Office Manager. The successful applicant is required to have a minimum of a High School Degree, or equivalent, possess a valid Tennessee Driver's License and will be required to pass a federal background check.

The District works with landowners to promote sustainable use and protection of the soil and water resources within Washington County, Tennessee. This position will work with the District, State, and Federal partners to provide these services.

Basic computer and secretarial skills are required.

The position will be located in the District Office in Jonesborough, Tennessee, which is located in the USDA Service Center. Benefits are included with the position and the salary will be commensurate with the education and ability of the successful appliant. For additional information, a copy of the job description can be found at the office address below.

To apply send a resume, including 5 references, by September 23, 2020 to :

Mr. Roy L. Gillis

Chairman, Washington County Soil Conservation District

1105 E. Jackson Blvd. Suite 3

Jonesborough, TN 37659

or via email to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If you need assistance, you can reach the office at 423-753-4441, Ext. 3 or call 423-276-8506.

Washington County Soil Conservation

Soil Conservation Education

The Washington County Soil Conservation District is dedicated to soil conservation education and outreach in the community.  With the help of Sammy Soil and Ruby Raindrop, the soil conservation district educates students about what it means to be a conservation farmer and take care of the soil. Visits from Sammy Soil and Ruby Raindrop can be scheduled through the conservation district office. 

The Enviroscape model is a great tool the Soil Conservation District is able to utilize in educating students about pollution and our watershed.  This interactive model shows students how important it is to keep our water clean. 


Helping Our Landowners

The soil conservation district along with our Natural Resources Conservation Service partners are happy to assist landowners with any questions they have regarding agricultural land in Washington County.  From technical assistance to cost share programs, we have you covered.  Please feel free to browse our information about programs in the menu above and call us if you have any questions. 


Soil Conservation Youth Board

Are you between the ages of 14 and 21, interested in community service, and have a passion for conservation in your community?  Come join our Washington County Soil Conservation Youth Board!!! This group of young people have committed themselves to community service and conservation in Washington County and have a great time while doing so.  See our "About Us" tab above for more information. 




What is Soil Health?

The continued capacity of soil to function as a vital living ecosystem that sustains and improves the living condition of plants, animals and humans.

Can I pull gravel out of my creek?

You may be able to pull gravel from a creek, but only within guidelines of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC). For more guidance call the TDEC office in Johnson City at 423-854-5400 or visit their website: https://www.tn.gov/environment.html

In what situations do I need a permit?

Most work on streams, stream banks, waterways, or drainage areas should be reviewed by TDEC. If you have questions concerning permits you should contact the TDEC office in Johnson City at 423-854-5400, or visit their website: https://www.tn.gov/environment.html

Who do I call for a burn permit?

The agency to call for a burn permit is the Tennessee Department of Agriculture “Division of Forestry”, their number is 1-877-350-(BURN) 2876 or online: www.BurnSafeTN.org. Burn permits are required from October 15 thru May 15 and at other times during certain weather conditions.

Where do I find soils information and aerial imagery for my farm?

The USDA-NRCS website provides aerial photography & soils information. http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov.

Where can I find floodplain maps for my property?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a great deal of flood information on their website. We have the ability in our office to generate maps for landowners with aerial imagery that has a flood plain map overlaid. Contact us to get a map of your property.

Who do I call when trying to locate underground utility lines (gas, phone, cable, electric, etc.)?

Before you DIG call “Tennessee One Call” at 811 or go to their website: www.tnonecall.com. A person can be held liable for damages incurred if they dig and do not call Tennessee One Call.

Other Questions?

Please call our office at 423-753-4441 x3

end faq

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

Giles County Soil Conservation District is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.